Independence Day Parade
Here in Barkhamsted we love our Independence Day parade, even when it rains.
The Historical Society took part in the parade this year (2004) and of course focused
on the history of the parade itself.
The parade has been held annually since the mid 1950's when the Reverend George
Ackerly got things going. Reverend Ackerly had returned from India after many
years there as a missionary. Before going to India, he had been the minister
at the Pleasant Valley Methodist Church, and remembered that a town parade had been
held on the 4th of July. He wanted to revive this tradition, so he grabbed
his trombone, and, with a bunch of school kids from the neighborhood, marched through
Since then the parade has grown in size.
George would be proud. Fifty some years later the Historical Society marches
in the parade and recognizes George's revival efforts during the 1950's.
Above- the Historical Society contingent in the Independence Day parade at Pleasant
Valley. Noreen Watson and Karen Ansaldi carry the banner. They are dressed
in 1950's era garb which is when the town's parade was resurrected. Behind
them is Historical Society President Walt Landgraf (white shirt) and Erik Landgraf
carrying a sign noting the 1950s origin of the parade. In the yellow car ride
two parade marchers that participated in the first parades 50 years ago.
Margo Miller Fenn (second from left) and Terry Montgomery (third from left) were
honored for their participation in the first town parades resurrected in the 1950's.
At the far left is driver Jim Fenn. To the right of Terry are Historical Society
marchers Noreen Watson and Karen Ansaldi in 1950's era dress.