Current Topics

Open House at the Barkhamsted Center School

On Saturday, September 20, 2008 the Barkhamsted Historical Society held an Open House at the Barkhamsted Center School.  Historical Society member Mike Day was on hand to greet visitors and discuss a typical school day in the early 20th century and before.  Mike had on hand a number of school text books and games used during this period.  Over 30 visitors stopped in to see the building and the displays.

The Center School was one of 12 schools located in Barkhamsted during the 19th and early 20th century.  In those days the town was split into this many districts, each with a school, so that children could more easily walk to class.  The Center School was moved in 1980 by the Historical Society from its original site on the west side of the Barkhamsted Reservoir.  The building was with a hundred feet of the edge of the reservoir, and had been used as a maintenance building by the MDC until the Historical Society moved it.

The schoolhouse was built in 1821 as a two story structure.  In 1880, repairs were made and the building was converted into a one story structure.  Most of the first floor was removed at that time.  The current classroom had originally been the second floor.

Photo above - Historical Society volunteer Mike Day greets visitors to the Open House on September 20, 2008 at the Barkhamsted Center School.

Photo above- busy "students" at the Open House, Barkhamsted Center School.

The Barkhamsted Center School- it was a beautiful day on Saturday, September 20, 2008 for the Historical Society's Open House.  Over 30 visitors stopped in to take a look at the building and exhibits.




rimonabantexcellence site title said:

Pingback from  rimonabantexcellence site title

June 12, 2013 3:28 PM

Leave a Comment

Terms Of Service | Privacy Policy
All Copy and Images Copyright © 2022 Barkhamsted Historical Society All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Community Server (Non-Commercial Edition), by Telligent Systems