in

Colebrook Forge project

Last post 06-14-2008 9:16 PM by Paul. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-14-2008 9:16 PM

    • Paul
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2008
    • Barkhamsted
    • Posts 671

    Colebrook Forge project

    At a meeting on June 2, 2008, the Barkhamsted Historical Society voted to contribute $2,000 to the Colebrook Forge archaeology project.  The project was organized by Walt Landgraf over several years and involved hiring a professional archaeologist and securing permission from land owners to investigate the Colebrook Forge site (aka the Richard Smith Forge).  Walt had done extensive research on Smith and the forge site, but he died before project work started.  Archaeologist Marc Banks moved the project forward and, assisted by volunteers, over 130 test pits were dug in the fall of 2007.  Work has again commenced in 2008.The forge foundation is buried under tons of large rocks, so the archaeology work is focused on locating the other buildings at the site, including the large charcoal barn and houses used by forge workers.  A company store, blacksmith and iron house are also located at the site.  The forge was built in 1770 and continued production for over 40 years. Primary funding for the project comes from the Farmington River Coordinating Committee with additional donations from the Barkhamsted Historical Society, Colebrook Historical Society, Colebrook Land Conservancy and private citizens.

     

    Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Terms Of Service | Privacy Policy
All Copy and Images Copyright © 2019 Barkhamsted Historical Society All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Community Server (Non-Commercial Edition), by Telligent Systems