in

Childhood memories of BARKHAMSTEAD

Last post 01-04-2009 3:38 PM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-06-2008 1:31 PM

Childhood memories of BARKHAMSTEAD

We lived on Washington Hill in the 1950's. I started first grade at Pleasant Valley School. My most vivid memory was the big hurricane. It must have been in 1954? The valley was flooded and I remember finally going to school and seeing nothing but cellars where some of the houses stood. There was a story about a ladie's wedding dress being wrapped around the family bicycle and then around a tree far from the house. My little playmate was Kathy Teller. I have always wondered about what happened to her. My parents took me to California in 1957 and this is where I still live. My heart always longs for CT. Bonni Bailey Mira Loma, CA
  • 08-06-2008 10:30 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2008
    • Barkhamsted
    • Posts 671

Re: Childhood memories of BARKHAMSTEAD

Bonni-

To see a photo of Cathy Teller Connole see the Historical Society "Town Diary" journal entry for September 2001 (go to "community".."journals"..."town diary".  In the town diary section go down and on the right you will see the"archives" section.  Click on the September 2001 entry.)  This is a story on Cathy's fifth grade class at Barkhamsted Elementery School in Pleasant Valley.  Cathy's mother was my fourth grade teacher at the Barkhamsted school.

The big hurricane was in 1955 and is well remembered around here as the "1955 Flood".  We had a post from a man who (as a child) was trapped with his family on the bridge in Pleasant Valley DURING the flood.  They were there all night, and trees carried by the flood waters kept hitting the bridge during the night.  They were terrified, and could not get off the bridge because the approaches were washed out at both ends of the bridge.  Somehow the bridge held, and they were rescued. 

Paul Hart
    Barkhamsted Historical Society

• 09-07-2008 2:24 AM In reply to

Dear Paul, Thank you for your reply. I just found your post. Tonight I came home from work. I stopped at the mail box and there it was, this post card! It was from my childhood playmate, Cathy. I am just blown away. I haven't seen her for nearly 54 years. I always dreamed of finding her someday. Thank you for this website. Bonni Bailey Mira Loma, CA
  • 01-04-2009 3:38 PM In reply to

Speaking of lost friends - Bonni (hoping this is the right one) the phone number I have for you doesn't work anymore. I stopped by your old workplace in Orange and it's gone. And my laptop crashed so I don't have your e-mail. :( If this is you e-mail me at susanaschreiner at yahoo dot com! Susan Schreiner
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Terms Of Service | Privacy Policy
All Copy and Images Copyright © 2017 Barkhamsted Historical Society All Rights Reserved.