in

Center School Open House

Last post 09-12-2008 10:27 AM by Richard. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-12-2008 10:27 AM

    • Richard
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2008
    • Barkhamsted
    • Posts 186

    Center School Open House

    The one room 1820's Center School House will be open to the public on Saturday, September 20th 2008 between 1:00 and 4:00 PM. Originally a 2 story building, The Barkhamsted Center Schoolhouse is now located on Center Hill Road (Route 181) very near the geographic center of the town.  In 1979 the Historical Society moved it to this site from the original location on what is now the banks of the Barkhamsted Reservoir in an area not open to the public.  During most of the 1800s and into the first couple of decades of the 1900s the town was split up into a dozen or more school districts.  This building was the schoolhouse for District One- the Center District.  Completed in 1824, the building was originally two stories high to accommodate the large number of students at that time.  As the population of the town declined with westward migration, and with the building badly in need of repair, it was decided to convert it to a single story structure in 1880.  What you see now was previously the second floor!  Stop in to have a first hand look.

    Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Terms Of Service | Privacy Policy
All Copy and Images Copyright © 2017 Barkhamsted Historical Society All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Community Server (Non-Commercial Edition), by Telligent Systems